Monday, February 13, 2006

Making Friends In China

I made two friends in China today, without having to leave Norwich! It was, of course, due to the magic of Skype.

Ming was one of the people I contacted when I first installed Skype. She set up a conference call with me and her friend Yi. The audio quality with Skype is fantastic, much better than a long distance telephone call. The only problem I had was that sometimes Ming's voice was faint. Yi's voice was always clear so maybe the problem was at Ming's end of the connection.

Yi and Ming are both university students in Changsha, a city in Southern China, with a population of 6 million(London is 7.4 million).

Yi and Ming taught me some Mandarin, and I tried to teach them some English. I'm going to get a self-study Mandarin course soon, and I'll practice with Yi and Ming regularly.

There are many things that I'd like to ask Yi and Ming but can't because it would be unwise. I am however content just to find out what it is like to be a young person in China.

Talking to Yi and Ming made me miss China so much, even though I only spent a couple of weeks there, several years ago. I should return soon, China is obviously waiting for me.

No comments: