Wednesday, July 19, 2006

15 Seconds Of Fame

At 6:30 pm I went to the studios of WBAI, New York's most prestigious non-commercial radio station. When I arrived there were 6 other people there for the show. People continued to arrive, and by the time we were ready to go on air, there were 20 people in the studio.

I managed to get on air a little bit, I think I spoke for about 15 seconds. You can download or stream the radio show from www.2600.com/OffTheHook/2006/0706.html

Everyone was very friendly and laid back. I got on particularly well with Mitch Altman, the inventor of TV-B-Gone. TV-B-Gone is a device for turning of TV's. It can turn off hundreds of different models and is small enough to be carried in your pocket.

We all went to the East Village to eat. Most people took the subway, but I and a few others went in the 2600 van. The 2600 van is painted in the style of a New York telephone van and therefore is often let into places where public vehicles are not allowed. The ride was quite uncomfortable as there were no seats in the back, but it was an interesting way to see a bit of New York.

The Italian restaurant we went to served great food and was reasonably priced. I sat with Porkchop and Redbird, both of whom were very interesting. After dinner we walked through the East Village to a coffee shop. East Village is an intellectual haven in New York. It's full of trendy young people, many of whom have laptops. I spent a couple of hours there and then started the journey back to my hotel. It was 1:30 am when I finally got back.

No comments: